is one which is vowed, whether conditional or unconditional, as one vows that he will perform Itikaaf if certain wish or business is accomplished.
(Emphasised) is of the last ten days of
Ramadhaan. Authentic Traditions say that Holy Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wasallam regularly performed Itikaaf. But this Mu'akkadah is accomplished for
all if some persons perform it.
ITIKAAF is of some time, other then the last ten days of Ramadhaan, it may be the first or second ten days of Ramadhaan or any other month.
- For Essential (waajib) Itikaaf fast is necessary. If any one sits for Itikaaf he shall have to keep fast. If one
resolves not to fast even then fast is essential for him. Therefore
if any one intends for Itikaaf at night, it would be useless because
night is no time of fasting. But if he resolves for Itikaaf
for several days or day and night, then night will be included in
it and it will be necessary to remain in Itikaaf for night
also. It is not necessary to intend fast for Itikaaf as
fasting for any purpose is enough for Itikaaf. For instance
if any one intends to sit for Itikaaf in Ramadhaan, then
the fast of Ramadhaan will be enough for the Itikaaf.
But it is necessary that fast should be an essential fast as
Nafl fast is not enough for this Itikaaf. For example if any
one resolves for a Nafl fast and then sits in Itikaaf the same day, then it will not be in order. If any one vowed
to sit in Itikaaf for the whole month of Ramadhaan and
due to some reason could not do so in Ramadhaan, then he may
do it in any other month and his vow would be accomplished but continuous fasting and
sitting is essential.
- In the Sunnat Itikaaf the fast is already there, hence its condition is not necessary.
- In Mustahab (appreciable) Itikaaf as a precaution is a
condition but condition is not trust able.
- The ESSENTIAL Itikaaf can be
at least for one day and more for as many days as resolved. The SUNNAH (MU'AKKADAH) Itikaaf is for ten days i.e. the
last ten days of Ramadhaan. For MUSTAHAB
(Appreciable) Itikaaf there is no time limit. It may be for one minute or even less.
- Two actions are prohibited during
Itikaaf and committing them would vitiate the Sunnah (Mu'akkadah) and essential Itikaaf and should be observed again. If it is a Mustahab
Itikaaf it will be disrupted and would end. The FIRST is to go out of the place of
Itikaaf without necessity. The necessity may be natural
or religious. Natural necessity is to make water or ease oneself or
to go for the essential bath. Food is also a necessity if there is
no one to bring it and religious need is such as to go for Friday
- If anyone in Itikaaf goes out of his mosque due to some necessity, then he should not stay after the need is fulfilled and as far as possible he should try to meet at a place nearest to the mosque. If he goes to a mosque for Friday prayer and stays there to complete the Itikaaf , though permissible, but is
- To leave the Itikaaf mosque for a minute even in forgetfulness, is not permissible.
- It is against the spirit of Itikaaf to leave its place for such needs which are not of frequent occurrence. For example it is not sinful but essential to go to save life, to visit a patient or to save a drowning man or to go out of the mosque for few of its falling down, but in such cases the Itikaaf shall no
longer remain. There is however, no harm if one goes out for any natural or religious need and either before or after the fulfilment of the
need visits a patient or joins a funeral prayer.
- One sitting in Itikaaf should go out for Friday prayers with such provision of time so that be may be able to offer prayer Tahiyyatul-Masjid (greeting to mosque) and tile Sunnah prayer of Friday and it is also permissible for him to stay after Friday prayer to oilier Sunnah prayer. The determination of the time that it will take is left to the discretion of the person. There is no harm if he reaches a bit earlier due to wrong estimate.
- If a person in Itikaaf is forced out of the place of Itikaaf then Itikaaf will be disturbed. For instance
one is implicated in some crime and warrant is issued against him and he is asserted by the police and taken out of the Itikaaf place or he
is indebted to someone and he pulls him out.
- Also it one goes out on account or any natural or
religious need and on way some creditor detains him or falls ill
and is delayed in returning, then Itikaaf shall be disrupted.
- THE SECOND kind of acts which are
not permissible in Itikaaf are sexual intercourse etc.
whether done deliberately or in forgetfulness -- committed in the
mosque or out side-shall vitiate the Itikaaf. The acts which
lead to sexual intercourse i.e. kissing, embracing etc. are also
not permissible in. Itikaaf but Itikaaf is
not disrupted by these acts if semen is not discharged. But if
semen is discharged by mere thinking then also the
Itikaaf will not be disrupted.
- It is highly execrable to engage in any type of worldly
business i.e. buying or selling or any other commercial act. But in
case there is no food in the house and also there is no reliable
person to purchase it, then it is permissible for the person in
Itikaaf to purchase. But in no case the purchased goods should
be brought to the mosque when there is fear of polluting the mosque
or obstructing the space. It is also permissible if there is no
- It is also highly execrable to sit silent in Itikaaf
but objectionable things should not be uttered or tell a lie and
backbite. Instead all the time should be devoted in recitation of
Holy Quraan or teaching and learning religious knowledge or should remain engaged in
other religious prayers. In short, to sit silent in
Itikaaf is no worship or prayer.